COVID-19 and Local Government Operations
The Home Building Association of Richmond is communicating with local governments across the Richmond region to provide the latest updates on inspection and building permit centers that may impact day-to-day residential construction operations.
This list will be updated as soon as we have the information from primary points of contact. If you have additional questions for HBAR to field, please call or email Danna Markland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-441-5040.
The Community Development Customer Service Center is open.
Six-foot social distancing will be maintained, and all customers must wear a mask while in the buildings in accordance with state and county requirements. Due to limited availability of masks, they are not able to provide masks so please bring your own.
Permit applications sent via mail or commercial courier will be accepted and processed.
Customer deliveries are being handled using an exterior pickup/drop off cart located in the breezeway directly outside of the Community Development Building (9800 Government Center Parkway). Instructions are provided on the door and/or cart.
The walk-thru permit process is suspended until further notice.
Utilities Customer Service Center is Open
The Chesterfield County Department of Utilities’ first-floor customer service center is open with regular business hours. Learn more about available services and health and safety guidelines.
(Last updated on June 7, 2021)
In accordance with statewide measures issued by Gov. Ralph Northam, effective immediately, the indoor facemask mandate has been lifted per CDC guidelines. On Friday, May 28, all social distancing and capacity restrictions will be lifted. Some county facilities will be open to the public Monday, May 24 with the expectation of a complete facility opening mid-June.
Building Construction and Inspections
Beginning May 24, 2021 the Department of Building Construction and Inspections office on the 2nd Floor of the County Administration Building at 4301 E. Parham Rd. has re-opened to the public. All permitting, plan review and inspection services are being delivered daily from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. No appointment is needed to visit the office location.
Please call 804-501-4360 if you have any questions about our services.
The Permit Centers at both the Western Government Center (4301 E. Parham Road) and the Eastern Government Center (3820 Nine Mile Road) will reopen to the public on Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
Staff will be available for in-person assistance and to accept in-person applications for residential trade permits (plumbing, electrical, and mechanical) and single-family alterations, repairs, and detached accessory structures. Applicants may continue to submit completed trade permit applications for RESIDENTIAL JOBS ONLY via email to email@example.com. Applicants may also submit completed permit application packages for RESIDENTIAL alterations, repairs, and detached accessory structures via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for new single-family construction cannot be submitted via email at this time. Please be reminded that the status of permits can be verified through the following web portal: http://www3.co.henrico.va.us/bldg/insp/.
Applications for the Planning Department (rezonings, plans of development, subdivision, etc.) may be filed in person. Payment may be made at the time of submission or applicants can choose to be contacted via email regarding on-line payment as is current practice. Electronic versions of all POD and subdivision plans should continue to be emailed in advance of submission to DevEPlanReview@henrico.us.
While not required, customers are encouraged to make appointments to receive services. If you have any questions about our services, or wish to make an appointment, please contact the Permit Center at 501-7280 or email@example.com.
The Planning Department will be open to the public on Monday, May 24, 2021. Appointments are encouraged. For appointments or inquiries, please call (804) 501-4602.
All Planning applications/submittals (e.g., Rezonings, Provisional Use Permits, Conditional Use Permits, Variances, Plan of Developments, and Subdivisions) will be accepted at the Permit Center. Applicants for Plans of Development and Subdivisions should provide an electronic copy of all submitted documents to DevEPlanReview@henrico.us to facilitate the plan review process.
Application fees and submissions:
For walk-in customers, the Permit Center will process your payment at that time. Online payment processing is also available through the Permit Center.
Scheduled meetings changes:
- Staff Developer meetings are scheduled remotely through WebEx. Applicants will be contacted by Planning after receipt of a development application. Review comments will be provided through the online comment system. If you have any questions regarding your development application, please contact the plan reviewer directly and staff will assist you over the phone or electronically.
- Upcoming meetings of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals have changed.
—Planning Commission: More information.
—Board of Zoning Appeals: More information.
- An administrative process for approval of Subdivision Plans and Plans of Development that would normally be approved on these Planning Commission agendas is in place to allow development approvals to proceed within the normal timeframes allocated to the Public Hearing process. The monthly administrative agenda is posted at https://henrico.us/pdfs/planning/podnext.pdf . Filing deadlines remain unchanged. For more information, please see https://henrico.us/planning/meetings.
The Hanover County Planning Department has implemented a new community web portal for submitting applications and plans to the office. It can be accessed at this link.
This site provides access to community development services, allowing customers to complete many common tasks online.
Use the Permit module to pay permit fees, access permit history, and apply for residential subtrade permits.
Use the Project module to access Planning Department projects such as rezoning, conditional use permit, and site plan. You may also search for information about active Planning projects.
Use the Inspection module to schedule or cancel Building Inspections.
To schedule an inspection online, you will be required to create a user account.
City of Richmond
(Last Updated June 7, 2021)
The City of Richmond is pleased to announce the launch of our NEW Online Permit Portal (OPP). The portal gives our customers the ability to apply for certain Permits from their office or home without coming into City Hall.
In this initial phase of the Online Permit Portal, we will be rolling out the following plan types: Certificate of Zoning Compliance, Electrical Residential, Gas Piping Residential, Mechanical Residential, Plan of Development and Plumbing Residential. Customers will be able to submit plans for review, apply and pay for permits, request inspections, and check the status of a request.
Customer informational sessions will be held each week, with staff available to assist customers interested in learning how to apply for a permit using the online portal. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Customers will need to register online before being able to apply for permits through the portal.
Navigate to the Online Permit Portal to register.
New Kent County
(Last Updated June 7, 2021)
Effective Monday, May 10, 2021, the following procedures apply when visiting the Planning & Zoning Department temporarily located at 7941 New Chipping Lane:
- Our visitors will check in at the Planning & Zoning Department window to the right to take a temperature reading and to complete a screening form prior to conducting business with the Department. You will also receive information about social distancing and face coverings according to the latest New Kent County Emergency Permanent Standards and the Governor's Announcements
- Reduced Planning & Zoning Department permit and application hours will be from 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM to allow ample time to make any payments to the Treasurer by 4:15 PM. The Treasurer has returned to its original office at the upper-level Administration Building located at 12007 Courthouse Circle
- As a reminder, only completed original applications and permits are accepted with the required fee payment at the time of submittal
- Planning & Zoning Staff will still be able to assist you with non-payment related matters by appointment only between 3:45 PM and 4:30 PM